The Iterative Web App: Outbox for Emails in Limbo

On April 7th, we announced a new version of Gmail for mobile for iPhone and Android-powered devices. Among the improvements was a complete redesign of the web application's underlying code which allows us to more rapidly develop and release new features that users have been asking for, as explained in our first post. We'd like to introduce The Iterative Webapp, a series where we will continue to release features for Gmail for mobile. Today: Outbox.

With the web-browser-based Gmail for mobile we launched in April for iPhone and Android-powered devices, you can compose mail even when you're offline. That means you can write an email when there's no wireless connection, like in a subway or an airplane. And when you hit send, the message will be sent when the phone's network connectivity gets re-established. But what if you'd like to view the message that you just "sent" while still offline? Where can you find those 'sent but not actually sent' emails? Before today, the answer was "nowhere."

To solve this problem, we're now introducing a new feature, called Outbox. Outbox is a new label that appears in the menu when you have queued messages stuck on your phone and presents a read-only view of the subject of those messages. So if you want to make sure the previous message was sent before writing a follow-up mail, you can go ahead and find it in Outbox. Please note that you can read only the subject, not the body, of messages in Outbox.

To try out Gmail for mobile, visit gmail.com in your mobile browser. This version of Gmail for mobile supports iPhone/iPod touch OS 2.2.1 or above, as well as all Android-powered devices, and is available for US English only. To make it easy to access your Gmail account, try creating a home screen link.

by Heaven Kim, Product Marketing Manager, Google Mobile

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi are using Wordpress for your site platform?
I'm new to the blog world but I'm trying to get started and create
my own. Do you need any html coding knowledge to make your own blog?
Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Here is my weblog; microsoft outlook email templates

Anonymous said...

My spouse and I absolutely love your blog and
find the majority of your post's to be what precisely I'm looking for.

can you offer guest writers to write content to suit your needs?
I wouldn't mind creating a post or elaborating on some of the subjects you write concerning here. Again, awesome web site!

Also visit my weblog :: email templates in outlook

Anonymous said...

I needed to thank you for this excellent read!! I certainly loved every bit of it.
I've got you bookmarked to check out new stuff you post…

Here is my blog post: Email announcement Templates

Anonymous said...

Hi there, You have done a great job. I will certainly digg it and personally recommend to my friends.
I'm sure they'll be benefited from this web site.

Here is my site :: email marketing consultant

Anonymous said...

This website was... how do I say it? Relevant!
! Finally I've found something that helped me. Thank you!

Feel free to visit my blog pakistani bridal makeup

Anonymous said...

Heya! I know this is sort of off-topic but I had
to ask. Does building a well-established blog such as yours take a lot of
work? I'm brand new to writing a blog but I do write in my diary everyday. I'd like to start a blog so I will
be able to share my experience and views online.

Please let me know if you have any recommendations or tips for new aspiring bloggers.
Appreciate it!

my webpage: ophthalmology

Anonymous said...

For most up-to-date information you have to pay a visit the web and on web I
found this website as a finest web page for hottest updates.



My web page; mouse click the next web page
()